2010/03/01

My one-woman book club, February edition

I enjoyed this month's selection immensely. The thing with reading is you don't know what you got until you've finished reading it. Feb's a good month. :D


 1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

2. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
This was absolutely brilliant! It's my new favorite. But I say that about all the good ones right after reading them. This one had me sitting in the bathroom, crying, for 10 minutes when I finished it. The ending wasn't particularly sad, it was more of poignant than anything. But I was sad that it was over and there weren't any more pages to read!

3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
I've read Remains of the Day, but I think I like this one better. His prose is wrought with so much pent up emotion that it hurts to breathe! I think restraint is the defining trait of all the characters in his novels. Obviously, that's something I know very little about, which makes his works even more interesting a read. I'm all for suspending the imagination!

I can't wait for the movie. I love you, Keira Knightley.

4. Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
How ironic for a book that is essentially about suicide to provide me all the good vibes I will be needing for at least month. Hornby is a genius. I imagine if Philip Roth had a pop culture geek of a brother who's funnier and less, err.., less Jewish and more middle class British he'd be exactly like Hornby.





No comments:

Post a Comment